Saturday, July 7, 2007

V for...

So, my cousin Jesse is in Iraq. He's been there for awhile now, and I guess I take for granted that he will return home safely and unharmed. My family has this great gift for denial. We ignore or simply do not think about things, and those things do not exist. It's a terrible way to be, I know, but what can I say.

This whole time that Jesse has been in Iraq, I've imagined him being out of the midst of the bad shit, you know. I don't know why I thought that. It's unlike Jesse to not be in the midst of whatever shit needs to be taken care of.

This past week my little (big) cousin Jesse was awarded "the Army Commendation Medal with "V" device for Valor" for amazing feats that I could never picture any person being in a position to do but that he did instinctively and honorably.

I'm amazed that this kid who was always just such a...ornery kid...is now a grown man in the thick of it and saving lives at, potentially, his own risk.

You can read about it here.

Keep him in your thoughts (or prayers, if you go that way)-- his safe return home to his lovely wife and beautiful daughter.

1 comment:

Shan said...

Your cousin will be in my prayers.