Tuesday, December 12, 2006

old news, but still...

I came across a letter to the editor almost two weeks ago that made me so mad, made my mouth drop open in disgust and compelled me to cut it out and read it to every member of my family.

The letter is re: the representative from Minnesota, Keith Ellison, who was going to take his "oath of office" on the book of his faith, the Qur'an. This had people completely enraged, which made no sense to me.

It came out soon enough that we Americans don't know diddly squat about our own government (duh) because the reps don't take an oath of office. They do a mass swearing-in type of thing and there are no bibles involved anyway. The bible (or Qur'an) is used as a prop only during photos.

Here is the letter in all it's patriotic greatness:

Someone should tell Ellison this is America, not Iraq

BILLIE TILSTRA; Graham

Last updated: December 2nd, 2006 01:31 AM (PST)

Re: Rep.-elect Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) and his statement that he will swear his oath on the Quran (TNT, 12-1).

This is an outrage. If Ellison wants to swear on the Quran, let him move to Iraq. Is this the same Quran that allows beheading and the stoning of women? Not in our back yard.

Someone should tell him this is the United States of America. If he is allowed to do this, what next for our country? We are already running scared of offending anyone, regardless if their objective is to blow us up on not.

Originally published: December 2nd, 2006 01:00 AM (PST)

--------------------

I can't believe this person actually wrote that out loud. Billie Tilstra in Graham should be ashamed of him/herself. What American in their right mind would ever have such thoughts?!? A truly UN-American American, if you ask me.

I truly appreciate that The News Tribune printed that little letter because I have always been very proud to live here, in the pacific northwest, where we tend to be more progressive than the rest of the good ol' US of A. This letter is a reminder that there are ignorant, bigoted assholes right in my backyard! Howdy, neighbor! Ew.

Oh, and I just heard on the radio that the Moore Theater used to have separate white and black entrances. I was aghast. I've always told Wayne that there was no segregation here in Washington. I don't know why I thought that; it just seemed like Washington would be above such behavior. I guess I kind of forgot about the Japanese internment, too. Okay, so maybe Washington isn't exempt from a history of bigotry like I like to think.

No comments: