Thursday, January 17, 2008

Recipe: The Best Tortilla Soup

I've made this a few times now, and it is easier and tastier than the last tortilla soup recipe I used. I bake the chicken earlier in the day. I salt and pepper it and drizzle it with olive oil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes (I use Costco's frozen Foster Farms breasts). This soup is quick and easy to make and so yummy! And I have to say, homemade tortilla chips are the best thing ever.

6 T canola oil
8 corn tortillas chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 medium onion, chopped
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
2T. ground cumin
1T. chili powder
3 bay leaves
6 cups chicken stock
1tsp. salt
1/2tsp cayenne pepper
4 large chicken breast halved, shredded.

GARNISH:
shredded monterey jack cheese
diced avocados
corn tortillas (I used 6) sliced and fried crisp

In dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
Add tortillas, garlic, cilantro, and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.
Add cumin, chili powder and bay leaves.
Add chicken stock and return to a boil.
Reduce heat, add salt and cayenne and simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove bay leaves and add shredded chicken.
Garnish with cheese, avocado, sour cream and fried tortillas, if desired.

6-8 servings.

No comments: