Thursday, February 8, 2007

field trippin'

One of the coolest things about being part of the co-op at the elementary school is the abundance of field trips. It is so awesome. From what I understand, the rest of the school has one, maybe two, field trips in a school year. We have had three now, and I think we have one a month from here until June.

Today we went to the Tacoma Art Museum. It was so much fun; I thought we were going to the Tacoma Children's Museum, which I have been to several times with all three of my kids, and it just isn't as much WOW as I would like it to be. But this morning I found out from my friend/co-tripper that we were actually going to The Real Museum. Nice. I have never been to a Real Museum, I think. I've been to history museums and such but not a real art museum with art that makes you go, "WOW." I was sufficiently wowed, and the kids had a great times.

We were there for two and a half hours or so, andthe kids were able to learn about warm and cool colors; how art tells a story, and they each interpreted a piece of art they liked. It was so fun to watch them get excited about art. It's sad because art is so important but so underfunded in schools. I loved how at my older kids' schools (Steilacoom and UP), they would have visiting artists come and teach the kids music and art. It was so wonderful, but I don't know if our current district has such a program.

Speaking of our district: the bond failed. The fucking bond that would only cost property taxpayers and additional $58/mo (for a $200,000.00 home) FAILED. If only you knew (and some of you do know) how much this bond would have improved our schools. The school that my daughter currently attends needs to be razed and rebuilt; she may be attending a brand new school next year, or we may be back at the school that hasn't been updated since 1973 (it totally depends on if we get into the co-op again next year). Even if we decide to go to the new state-of-the-art school, I think the kids and staff at the current school need a new building; they deserve a new building.

What really sucks is that the bond needs 60% to pass, and at last check it was at 57.99% Yes. Such a small margin by which to fail.

Hm.

Oh, on the way home from the field trip today, I received a text from Wayne about Anna Nicole's death. I was so stunned but so not. What a sad, sad life that woman lived. Drama til the end.

Oh, this week Wayne and I watched a new show: Rules of Engagement. It was so hysterical. Actually, I didn't know whether to laugh or to be annoyed that Wayne was laughing so hard. The married couple is so totally us. It really isn't funny. But it is. I'm so damn conflicted.

No comments: