Tuesday, February 27, 2007

ppd

finally.
It is is in the gossip rags that Brittani Spears is not a drug addicted mess but may actually be suffering from post-partum depression. I have been saying that for awhile now, but everyone thinks it's drugs. I don't doubt that she's using drugs, but I bet it's her way of self-medicating.

I was absolutely convinced it was ppd when she shaved her head. And then attacked the paps with an umbrella. I can only imagine what it is like to live a life under such scrutiny. Ever go to TMZ? They have a ton of stuff on Britney Spears, and the videos are in-sane. They are shouting questions at her, flashes going off in her face, people getting in her way, which makes it impossible for her to walk in any direction. Ugh.

Okay, so that's her life, and then she has this husband who she splits from-- always a totally life-altering event, even if it's what you really want and need to do. AND she had a baby just 5 or 6 months ago.

I'm by no means an expert on Post-Partum Depression, but I do know it happens and can be absolutely devastating to a woman and her family.

I recently read two stories about women who were tragically affected by post-partum depression to the max severity (psychosis). Two true accounts of what happened after the births of their children. Two women out of the hundreds of thousands of women who are affected every day. Melanie Stokes and Tina Zahn (incredible website with intense video that gives me chills and brings me near tears every time I watch it).

I don't know why people don't talk about PPD. It is real. It is scary. It can be life-threatening.

I hope that the tabloids give Britney Spears some space to breathe and to heal.

No comments: