Thursday, November 30, 2006

(recipe) only the best baked potato soup ever

It was brought to my attention that I neglected to post the baked potato soup recipe at the end of my previous post. Duh.

I have been making baked potato soup for years, and then I lost my recipe. I'm totally a "follow the recipe-- or at least try to" kind of girl. Usually I misread the recipe (or don't read it all the way through first) and then I screw it up.

This recipe is better than my last baked Potato Soup recipe-- less involved. I like less involved recipes. Simplicity is my middle name (actually, it's Christine, but you get the idea).

Only The Best Baked Potato Soup Ever

Prep: ~25 mins
Cook time (not incl. potatoes & bacon) ~30 mins
Servings: 6 generous portions

12 slices bacon
2/3 c. butter
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
7 c. milk
4 large baked potatoes, meat scooped out, toss peels
4 green onions, chopped
2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 c. sour cream
1t salt
1t ground pepper

Directions:

  1. Brown bacon, crumble, set aside (this is the most time consuming portion of this meal-- have your husband cook the bacon, if possible. Let him get bacon grease spit at him).
  2. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in potatoes and onions. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
  3. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add bacon, sour cream, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until cheese is melted.
I serve this with a loaf of French bread (or is it french bread?).

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Shan said...

Sounds yummy! I'm going to give it a try next week.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.